Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Quick and Easy Mexican Chicken

I was trying to think of something to make last night with the items that I already had in my apartment (I did NOT feel like going to the grocery store in the rain, OR coming back home from a weekend away to anything that was spoiled). I thought of a recipe that my mom made when we were little for Mexican Chicken. I wasn't sure of her exact recipe, so I used my friend google for a little help. This is what I came up with. I took some ideas from a bunch of different places and made it my own...definitely feel free to do the same!  I used reduced fat cheddar cheese, however you can use regular cheddar OR a four-cheese or mexican blend shredded cheese.

Quick and Easy Mexican Chicken
(Serves 4)


What you will Need:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups salsa (to your preference) - I used a medium heat salsa.
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (to your preference)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 pinch ground cumin (or to taste)
  • 1 pinch chili powder (you can sub a chipotle powder such as Mrs. Dash if you'd like - it will still give it that little kick.)
What to Do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Heat greased skillet to medium heat. Rub chicken pieces with garlic, pepper, cumin and chili powder to taste and add chicken to the hot skillet.
  3. Cook until brown on each side (no longer pink). - This will take 5-10 mintes.
  4. Transfer the chicken to a 9x13 inch baking dish and top with the salsa and cheese. Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes (until the cheese is bubbly and just starts to brown).
Serve over rice (I used brown rice) - Enjoy!

Approx Calories: 186 per serving (rice not included).

No comments:

Post a Comment