Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Broccoli Slaw with diced apples.



Go ahead and google "Broccoli Slaw"...there are exactly one million recipes floating around out there on how exactly to make the perfect Broccoli slaw. There are creamy dressings made from mayo, there are oil based dressings, some people add dries cherries, some add dried cranberries or raisins, some people even add onions (my personal preference is that onions do NOT go well with this...again, personal preference). I took two ideas and blended them. I took a vinaigrette dressing and mixed it with some ingredients I found here and there.


What you will need:

Slaw


  • 1 package of Broccoli Slaw (I use the Trader Joe's slaw)
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds (I use unsalted) (some people use walnuts here instead)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup diced apples
  • (I've also seen sunflower seeds added to this recipe)
Vinaigrette
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (I substituted 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of Splenda brown sugar instead but I've done it both ways and it tastes the same)
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper 
  • (I just add salt and pepper to taste on top of it all once mixed together)
What to do:

(This is kind of self-explanatory). Mix all of the slaw ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk together all of the vinaigrette in as well. Pour vinaigrette over slaw and mix well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment