Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Easy and Delicious Chicken

Living in the DC area, after working a full day and fighting traffic home, there is nothing I want to do more than just relax. I am always looking for a good recipe that is also a quick recipe. Eating out is not always the best option if you are on a budget or trying to eat healthy. This is one of those recipes that I found that is absolutely delicious, and doesn't hurt the belt OR the bank.  I modified it a bit to my own liking, as the original recipe did not create enough sauce. 



What you will need:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive oil
  • 1 - 1 1/2 onion, chopped 
  • 4 tablespoons ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low-sodium soy sauce, but either one works)
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Ground black pepper (recipe calls for 1 tsp, but I just ground the pepper over the sauce)
What to do:
  1. Saute onions in olive oil until they become translucent
  2. Add the chicken and brown lightly
  3. Combine the ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and pepper and mix together really well. Pour this over your chicken and bring the sauce to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow chicken to simmer for 25-30 minutes (make sure chicken is done, but not over done).
  4. Slice chicken - serve over rice (I used brown rice and would have added cooked broccoli but I didn't have any in the house). Pour remainder of the sauce over the chicken/rice for a juicy flavor.
Enjoy :)


For those of you wondering: Amount Per Serving  Calories: 255 | Total Fat: 8.3g | Cholesterol: 68mg

1 comment:

  1. It sounds and looks delicious! We'll have to try it here with the kids sometime soon! I like the idea of adding broccoli too :)

    Cute blog btw!

    ReplyDelete