Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Simple Sauteed Tilapia Tacos with grilled Peppers and Onions

It had come to my attention earlier last week that Lucas has never had a fish taco before (and I am a huge fan of fish tacos). Needless to say when I picked up the August issue of Cooking Light magazine and saw a fish taco recipe, I was eager to try it. I was even MORE excited to try it when I found out that it was under the "5-ingredient cooking" section (with the exception of cooking spray, salt and pepper...they consider those "freebies"). I added a little Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning (Salt-Free) to my fish before cooking them too, just to add a little bit of spicy flavor. 

Sauteed Tilapia Tacos (Serves 4...2 tacos per serving)


What you will need:

  • 2 (1/2 inch) slices of white onion
  • 1 (8 or so ounce) package of mini-sweet bell peppers
  • Cooking Spray
  • 3/4 teaspoon of salt (divided) **I just sprinkled as I went (I don't use a lot of salt)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
  • 4 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
  • Lime wedges (optional...but really add flavor)
  • I also used extra spicy seasoning on my fish before cooking.
What to do:
  1. Preheat Grill to high heat (I used the george foreman, which worked great)
  2. Arrange onion slices and bell peppers on grill (or grill rack) that has been coated with cooking spray. Grill onions for 12 minutes, turning after 6 minutes. Grill bell peppers (turning occasionally if on a regular grill...not needed if on the foreman grill.)
  3. Remove onions and peppers from grill and let stand to cool. Slice the onion rings in half and thinly slice the bell peppers (removing stems and seeds). Combine onion and pepper in small bowl and season with salt and pepper. (approx 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
  4. Sprinkle fish evenly with the remaining teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray.
  5. Add fish to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side (or until the fish flakes really easily with tested with a fork.)
  6. Warm tortillas in microwave (I use two damp paper towels and heat the tortillas in between them for 25-30 seconds). Divide fish, onion mixture, and thinly sliced jalapeno slices evenly among the tortillas. 
Serve with lemon wedges if desired. I also made a side of whole-grain rice with corn on the side. 

I also paired this with a Chardonnay from Hartwood Winery (Fredericksburg, VA). It is a dry wine (oaked 8 months in American and French barrels) with a light fruitiness. The pear notes are prevalent and is also reminiscent of ripe apples. We had the a vintage year (2006) which paired very nicely with this receipe.

Enjoy!


Nutrition: Calories: 292| Fat: 4.4g| Protein: 32.6g| Carb: 32g 

No comments:

Post a Comment